Diocese of Steubenville
Director of Communications
Responsible for managing the public relations aspect within the Diocese. Builds and sustains the Dioceses reputation for quality, reliability, and customer satisfaction. Writes and delivers press releases, handles all communication sent to the public and is the Editor of the Steubenville Register.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure articulation of Organization’s desired image and position, assure consistent communication of image and position throughout the Diocese, and assure communication of image and position to all constituencies, both internal and external.
- Responsible for editorial direction, design, production and distribution of all diocesan issued content including the Steubenville Register.
- Collect and analyze information about newsworthy events to write news stories for publication: Evaluates news leads and contacts to develop story idea.
- Gather and verify factual information regarding story through interview, observation, and research.
- Organize material, determine slant or emphasis, and writes story according to prescribed editorial style and format standards.
- Manage organizational brand and vision.
- Ensure public view and perception of The Diocese of Steubenville is favorable.
- Create and launch press releases and marketing campaigns.
- Media liaison for the Diocese including the Bishop’s office.
- Coordinate the appearance of all Diocesan print and electronic material such as letterhead, use of logo, brochures, etc.
- Supervise the work activities of the Communication staff.
- Participates on committees and special projects as assigned.
Skills and Competencies:
- Excellent communication, leadership, organizational, and planning skills.
- Critical Evaluation.
- Excellent writing, editing, spelling, and grammar skills.
- Layout and design using InDesign and Photoshop.
- Ability to effectively communicate information and ideas in written and verbal format.
- In-depth understanding of social media platforms.
- Multitask while accurately attending to detail.
- Ample knowledge and understanding of the Catholic faith.
- Ability to read and understand Church documents and guidelines.
- Knowledge of Catholic Church structure and culture.
- Ability to manage multiple projects on deadline.
- Develop interview questions and foster the interview process.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, English or related field.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience.
- Must understand, support and embrace the mission of The Diocese of Steubenville.
- Must be a practicing Catholic and currently in good standing and participating in a parish.
- Willingness to travel throughout the 13 county area.
- Require some evening and weekend hours.
Work Place Factors:
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, communicate, reach and manipulate objects, tools or controls. The position requires mobility. Minimum physical exertion. Duties involve moving materials weighing up to 5 pounds on a regular basis and may infrequently require moving materials weighing up to 25 pounds. Manual dexterity and coordination are required less than 50% of the work period while operating equipment such as computer keyboard, calculator, and standard office equipment. Usual office working conditions. The noise level in the work area is typical of most office environments.
Reports to: Executive Assistant to the Bishop
FLSA Status: Full-time (Exempt)
Hours: 9:00 am – 4:00 pm some evenings & weekends
This is not intended to be an all-inclusive list. Additional duties, expectations and responsibilities may be added or changed as needed to meet the Diocese’s growing needs.
Send cover letter, Resume, and writing samples to email@example.com
For listings not associated with the Diocese of Steubenville we recommend going to: