Most Reverend John King Mussio
Coat of Arms
The First Bishop of Steubenville
John King Mussio was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, June 13, 1902, the son of John and Blanche M. (King) Mussio. He had one brother Thomas J. Mussio. He was baptized and received his first communion in Sacred Heart Church in Cincinnati and attended Assumption Elementary School and Saint Xavier High School, Cincinnati.
He attended Xavier High School Cincinnati, and was graduated in 1920 from Xavier University, Ohio receiving a bachelor of arts degree in 1924. He obtained a master of arts degree from the University of Notre Dame He also studied at the Conservatory of Music and the College of Music, both in Cincinnati, Ohio. He was on the faculty of Xavier University the in department of English from 1925 to 1930, and during that time studied law at the University of Cincinnati, Ohio. In 1930, John King Mussio entered the diocesan seminary at Saint Gregory’s Seminary, Cincinnati, and two years later began his theological studies at Mount Saint Mary's Seminary, Norwood, Ohio.
On August 15, 1935, he, was ordained to the priesthood in Mount Saint Mary's seminary by the Most Reverend John T. McNicholas, Archbishop of Cincinnati, Ohio. He was stationed for a year at Saint Louis Church, Cincinnati and for a short time he served as an instructor in a Cincinnati high school.
Assignments After Ordination to Priesthood:
Father Mussio continued his theological studies for one more year at Mount Saint Mary's Seminary then was sent to the Angelicum College in Rome. He received the degree of doctor of Canon law in 1939. When he returned to Cincinnati in 1939, Father Mussio was made assistant chancellor of the archdiocese and in January, 1942, he was made chancellor. In June of the same year he was raised to the rank of papal chamberlain with the rank of Very Reverend Monsignor. Together with his chancery duties Monsignor Mussio also taught ecclesiastical law at Mount Saint Mary’s Seminary.
In October 21, 1944 a new diocese was formed with Steubenville being named as the See City. On March 15, 1945 it was announced that Pope Pius XII had appointed Monsignor Mussio as Bishop the first Bishop of the newly established Steubenville Diocese. Bishop Mussio was consecrated a Bishop May 1, 1945 by Archbishop John T. McNicholas. The consecration ceremonies took place in Saint Monica's Pro-Cathedral, Cincinnati Ohio. Co-consecrators for the ceremony were Bishop George Rehring and Bishop Michael Read
Bishop Mussio arrived in Steubenville May 23, 1945. And was installed in Holy Name Catherdral. He was a member of the Episcopal Commission of the Legion of Decency and was formerly episcopal moderator of the Catholic Broadcasters Association.
In January of 1949, he received an honorary Doctor of Laws degree from Notre Dame University. He was appointed assistant at the Pontifical Throne June 8, 1960.
He retired October 11, 1977, died April 15,1978.