Marriage, Family and Respect Life: After the March
Parish Resources | Chastity and Sexual Purity | Get Involved | About Us | Links | Special Events | Calendar
How can participants in the March for Life respond to what they heard and saw?
Participating in the March for Life in Washington, DC, is a life-changing experience. Words can hardly express the emotions that the March produces. Those participating in the March feel deep sorrow as they are confronted with the reality of abortion. At the same time, they feel great joy and excitement from seeing hundreds of thousands of people – especially young people – proclaiming the sanctity of human life.
Every participant in the March is confronted with the same question: What can I do to make a difference? Coming to Washington and standing in protest of legalized abortion is a tremendous witness in itself. But there is so much more that needs to be done.
Each of us is called to work to build the culture of life in our own families, parishes and communities. Here are a few things that you can do:
1) Commit to prayer. Determine to pray regularly (even daily) for the end of abortion and the coming of the culture of life. Praying the Rosary is especially recommended.
2) Love your family. Building a society that respects and cherishes human dignity begins in the home. Make your home a place of love, forgiveness and joy. Make your family a true sanctuary of life, where each human person is received as a gift from God.
3) Get informed. Find out what the Church teaches about life issues (abortion, euthanasia, stem cell research, in vitro fertilization, contraception, etc) from the Catechism of the Catholic Church and other Church documents. Keep up to date on current events related to the culture of life. (See our RESPECT LIFE AND SOCIAL CONCERNS page to read about various life issues.)
4) Get involved. Participate in activities in your parish and community that promote the culture of life and assist those in need.
5) Start something. Establish a Respect Life Committee in your parish, a Pro-Life Club in your school or Crisis Pregnancy Center your community. Great works begin with one person who has a passion to help others.
6) Witness for life. Share your pro-life convictions with others. Use pro-life bumper stickers and yard signs. Find ways to get the pro-life message out into your community.
7) Abstain from meat and fast on Fridays. The US Bishops have invited Catholics to offer up sacrifices in reparation for sins against human life and dignity.
8) Give what God has given you! Donate money to organizations and activities that are promoting the Culture of Life.
God is doing amazing things to build the culture of life! Each of us is called to participate in this great movement. Everyone can do something. What are you doing?